FlexLine Tech Support Hub
Here you will find answers to common questions that we are asked, how to setup your FlexLine head and how to report a problem or issue.
Here's the answers to some common questions that we are asked about Flexline heads....
- Q. Are the heads suitable for making movies and videos?
- A. Well yes they are very stable hence you can shoot without the need to lock everything up, Motion wise they are obviously not as good as a fluid head system, which is custom made for video use. But with the addition of a video panning handle (fits onto lens plate, sold separately) it is possible to track subjects in motion smoothly.
- Q. Is the long lens replacement foot essential when using a long lens?
- A. Essential no, advisable yes yes and yes. It makes using the lens so much easier and it's much quicker to set the centre of balance. So we think it is essential for complete satisfaction and the best operation. Plus our BIGFOOT heads have a very low profile and therefore make balance so much easier, click here to see the range.
- Q. What warranty is offered as standard and what happens if I get a fault?
- A. We offer a standard 2 year warranty as standard. In the unlikely event you get a breakdown just contact HQ from their main website and they will sort you out.
- Q: I centred the bubble so the head is level, but in the viewfinder the horizon doesn't look level?
- A: Ok first check if the lens collar is in the proper position and also that your mounting plate is properly aligned (for mounting on lens foot this should be exactly in the direction of the lens, for camera mounting it must be horizontal underneath.
- Q: My telephoto lens doesn’t stay in place as it should, it flops forward/backward.
- A: It's vital that your kit if perfectly balanced when first attaching to the head, so spend time getting it's centre of balance perfect. The centre of gravity must be right above the Flexline head for it to work as designed. Please check the setup video here.
- Q: I cannot mount it on a tripod?
- A: Check your tripod’s screw, it can’t be longer than 8mm.
- Q: Can I use it for Panoramas?
- A: Yes the FlexLine is great for panoramic photography as it moves only in the horizontal plane. But for correct operation you must take the time to set up the centre of gravity perfectly.
- Q: I cannot move the lever on he outer housing as it is stuck against the ball and has no more room to move!
- A: Ahhh we thought of that, just pull it out, twist and you are then free to move it. It's made like this for travel.
- Q: The silver knob looks very small, how can I secure the head with sufficient force ?
- A: The securing mechanism requires very little input force, only a light movement with two fingers. It is very easy, even in gloves with cold hands.
- Q: In what temperature ranges can I use the heads?
- A: They have been tested and used from the Arctic to the Equator in all kinds of weather from -30 to 40 Celsius.
- Q: Can use it in rain?
- A: Yes, after that you should let it dry naturally.
- Q: It is usable with the outer ball as a traditional ballhead, can I use the center ball (silver knob) in a vertical position of the camera?
- A: For advanced users we recommend that, but first get a feel of the head. You can also use an L bracket of course.
- Q: I find that when mounting the camera directly onto the Flexline head I cannot get the centre of balance correctly?
- A: Yes this is quite normal as there is no simply way to slide the camera back and forwards to get the correct position. There are two solutions. Either tighten the silver knob to greater tension in the motion, this should stop the flop. Or instead of attaching the plate horizontally underneath the camera mount it at 90 degrees to the camera so it follows the line of the lens. If you have a long enough plate then you can easily move it back and forwards to get the exact balance.
Having a Problem?
All Flexline heads pass through strict Q&A and have been rigorously tested before they leave the factory.
Of course problems happen and your FlexLine head has a 2 year manufacturers warranty from the date of purchase.
Should you encounter a problem then please click here to access our HQ contact page where you can report your issue and get it resolved.
© 2019 ARWP LTD
Subscribe to the ARWP newsletter
Get all the latest and exclusive news straight into your inbox